The finished Dorset Horn yarn didn’t get included in yesterday’s stock taking! It’s made a lovely squishy 3-ply yarn, that’s slightly heavier than Double Knitting weight and is very lofty.
I spun it on my Haldane Lewis which has two spinning bobbins and one plying bobbin. So, to enable enough bobbin space I re-wound the singles onto other bobbins (the third bobbin was rewound for consistency).
This is a trick that you can do with double drive wheels. A full bobbin is put on a lazy kate, with an empty one on the wheel. Both parts of the driveband are transferred to the bobbin grove, and an arm of the flyer is tied to the mother-of-all to stop the flyer moving. The single comes onto the bobbin on the wheel from the side (not through the wheel orifice). The wheel is treadled as normal, and the single is guided by hand onto the bobbin, so that it fills up evenly. It’s surprisingly quick* to re-wind the bobbins and helps to make plying easier as the bobbins unwind evenly.
I had initially intended a hat with this yarn, but I really want to show off the colour changes, so I may have something else in mind.
* Usually it’s quick. However, for my final single the end fell off the bobbin I was winding onto, so I had to reverse the process, re-glue the bobbin, then start again!
My oldest is off school sick today – so I’ve just been showing him the blog I keep (I think this is the first time he’s seen it!) He asked me how long it is – so we had a look – and the first posts were nearly 5 years ago! Eeeek! I think a Blog Birthday Party will be in order in a few weeks time! Anyway, while he’s now occupied making paper snowflakes (I think he’ll be ok for school tomorrow), I shall quickly write this post…
On Friday evening I decided to start spinning the Dorset Horn. It’s very squishy and I’m thinking it’ll make a nice hat. I love the colours that this top ended up, but I’d like to see them jumbled together, so I’ve decided to spin this as a fractal.
Doesn’t that sound scary? Let’s use a complicated maths term for a really simple technique (this I find is the way of lots of things, the more complicated someone has decided to make something sound, the simpler it is in reality)! All this term means for spinning is that the colours in each single repeat at a different rate. The tops are split into wide, medium and thin strips and these are then spun and plied as normal. The singles resulting from the thin strips of top have shorter lengths of each colour than those in the medium and thick lengths of top.
For this project I’ve split the top widthwise into one-third and two-third lengths. (Actually, I split it into halves initially, realised my mistake and vaguely reassembled it before making the split in the correct place!) The longest piece I then split into half lengthwise, and one of those halves got split lengthwise again.
I started spinning the thinnest strips first, finishing the first single over just two evenings.
I’ve also found a use for the label!
I may get organised yet!