Progress on the Tomten

O.K.  I know progress has been very slow – but the end is now in sight.  I’ve been working the edges (cuffs, etc) in a coordinating yarn, and I’m currently working on the button bands.

I’ve been putting off finishing the hood for ages – scared of doing “weaving” which Elizabeth Zimmermann makes look so easy.  I was even contemplating crocheting the two halves together and making the join a feature.  Anyway, I sat down at the kitchen table on Friday night and concentrating really hard (I had to send my husband out when he came to do some tidying up) I finally managed to weave the two edges together.  The final result is wonderful.  I’m so pleased I did it this way!  I held the stitches on some bamboo sock yarn, which ensured I didn’t drop any stitches but allowed the stitches to lie flat.  The bamboo yarn was nice and slippy – so was easy to remove afterwards.

I’m now trying to find some suitable buttons before I work the button holes.